The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 June 2019 – The Fool At Heart
TOPIC: The Fool At Heart
READ: Psalm 14:1-7 King James Version (KJV)
- The fool has said in his heart, “ There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.
- The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
- They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.
- Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge, Who eat up my people as they eat bread, And do not call on the Lord?
- There they are in great fear, For God is with the generation of the righteous.
- You shame the counsel of the poor, But the Lord is his refuge.
- Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion! When the Lord brings back the captivity of His people, Let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad.
The text begins with a condemnation of the fool.” ‘Fool’ in this context is not about mental inability but moral and spiritual insensitivity. To call someone a fool is considered harsh and degrading. Jesus warns against it. You might be in danger of hell fire (Mathew 5:22). A fool says there is no God (verse 1). In other words, a fool has no room for God. He does not see God at work in his life. (Romans 1:18-20). The lifestyle of a fool is that of corruption and abominable works (verse 1).
Proverbs 26:12 describes a fool as a man wise in his own eyes. Of such, there is no hope (of eternal life). Verses 2 and 3 express the state of an adulterous generation. The Lord looks down from heaven to see if there is one who does righteously but there is none, not even one. God is still looking on you to preach to the dying souls in this perverse and adulterous generation (Ezekiel 22:30). The salvation cried for in verse 7 came through our Lord Jesus Christ, who delivers from the captivity of sins. Are you rejoicing in the freedom He gives?
PRAYER: Lord Jesus I thank You for setting me free from captivity of sin. Empower me to be an instrument to preach the salvation message to others.