Topic: The Great Counsellor [Open Heavens for Teens 20 June 2020]
Memorise: Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. Proverbs 9:9
Bible Reading: Ruth 3:1-6
- Then Naomi her mother in law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee?
- And now is not Boaz of our kindred, with whose maidens thou wast? Behold, he winnoweth barley to night in the threshingfloor.
- Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking.
- And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do.
- And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do.
- And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all that her mother in law bade her.
Bible Reading In One Year: Nehemiah 12-13; Acts 4:23-37
From our Bible reading, we see how Ruth moved into her new level of breakthrough because she received good counsel from her mother-in-law. Good counsel is needed in your journey through life. However, you must be very careful who you take advice from because if your advisers are ungodly, they will lead you astray. You must ensure that you surround yourself with godly people whose counsel will tally with God’s word.
Of all counsellors, there is none as good as the Wonderful Counsellor (Isaiah 9:6 ). His knowledge is so vast that there is no area He cannot advice you on. Asides this, the Bible says God is mindful of you. This means that He wants the best for you at all times. A person who genuinely wants the best for you will always give you good advice. The good thing is that the Bible is filled with God’s advice for you. For example, do you need advice on how to approach your studies or any duty committed to you? The Bible says Seest thou a man diligent in his business, he’ll stand before kings (Proverbs 22:29). Do you need advice on how generously you should live? The Bible says in Luke 6:38, Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure shall men give into your bosom. A man who studies the Bible daily and lives his life by what’s in it is automatically set up for an abundant life devoid of mistakes and regrets.
Be wise. Become friends with the great Counsellor
Hymn: When We Walk With The Lord
- When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way,
While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
But to trust and obey.
- Not a shadow can rise,
Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away,
Not a doubt or a fear,
Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
- Not a burden we bear,
Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay,
Not a grief nor a loss,
Not a frown nor a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
- But we never can prove
The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay,
For the favour He shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
- Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way,
What He says we will do,
Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.