The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 June 2019 – Prayer: The Key To A Peaceful Coexistence
TOPIC – Prayer: The Key To A Peaceful Coexistence
READ: Psalms 12: 1- 8 King James Version (KJV)
- Help, Lord , for the godly man ceases! For the faithful disappear from among the sons of men.
- They speak idly everyone with his neighbor; With flattering lips and a double heart they speak.
- May the Lord cut off all flattering lips, And the tongue that speaks proud things,
- Who have said, “With our tongue we will prevail; Our lips are our own; Who is Lord over us?”
- “For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, Now I will arise,” says the Lord ; “I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.”
- The words of the Lord are pure words, Like silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times.
- You shall keep them, O Lord , You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
- The wicked prowl on every side, When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
The political and economic setting at the time this Psalm was written is similar to what is seen in the country (Nigeria) today: the ungodly in the society are flourishing. Pretence and deception coupled with unfulfilled political and economic promises are on the increase.
There are efforts by one person or group of persons to manipulate and lord it over others for personal gains. Consequently, love and trust for one another and for the ruling class is on the decline (verses 1, 2). The writer’s prayer in verses 3, 4 is that the Lord cuts off all flattering lips and lying tongues. The assuring words of verse 5 is certain for the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, I will arise, says the Lord and set him in the safety for which he yearns.
No matter how hard pressed God’s children are in the hands of those in authority and those who oppose them, they should pray positively for them, so that by their prayers, God will touch them to repentance and cause a conducive and peaceful atmosphere to prevail and for the righteous to be raised unto seats of power for people to rejoice (1Timothy 2:2-3 and Proverbs 29:2).
PRAYER: Pray for your Nation, for peace and accommodation of one another, and especially for God to raise God-fearing people to positions of authority.