The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 2 October 2020 – Depending On God’s Faithfulness
Topic: Depending On God’s Faithfulness
Read: Psalm 127 (NKJV)
- A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.
- [It is] vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; [For] so He gives His beloved sleep.
- Behold, children [are] a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb [is] a reward.
- Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So [are] the children of one’s youth.
- Happy [is] the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.
The writer of this Psalm appreciated the ability of man; he also maintained that without God, man’s labour is in futility. No building can stand with God not taken into the equation and though the watchman has his role to play in staying awake, God’s work and blessing is needed to truly secure the city. Though God welcomes and even commends human effort and input, His works and blessings are even more important.
Solomon decries the dependence and trust we put in hard work and the anxiety that shows we rely on self, rather than on God. He recommends trusting the Lord in one’s work and that we should be at peace, knowing that God’s hand is at work and He is awake even as we sleep. He understood that a home is built by more than bricks and wood. He said children are rewards and blessings and like weapons in the hand of a warrior, they should be carefully shaped and formed. As the arrows protect the warrior, so the godly man need not be afraid, when blessed with children because they will administer justice at the gate. Let this understanding and perception of God’s greatness and manifestation fill our lives in Jesus name, Amen.
PRAYER: Oh God my Father: let Your favour rest upon my labour; I will not labour for another to harvest; watch over my life and family so I will not sorrow over my children.