The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 13 May 2019 – The Yoke Of Bondage
TOPIC: The Yoke Of Bondage
READ: Galatians 5:1-15 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
- Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
- And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
- You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
- For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
- For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.
- You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth?
- This persuasion does not come from Him who calls you.
- A little leaven leavens the whole lump.
- I have confidence in you, in the Lord, that you will have no other mind; but he who troubles you shall bear his judgment, whoever he is.
- And I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offense of the cross has ceased.
- I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off!
- For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
- For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!
Belonging to the Lord, Jesus Christ positions one to the side of freedom. You are required to stand firm and refuse to be yoked again in bondage. The Advanced English Dictionary defines yoke’ and ‘bondage’ as follows: yoke (n) is an oppressive power; yoke (v) is to become joined or linked together. Bondage is the state of being under the control of a force or influence or abstract power.
Yoke of bondage connotes one being under the influence of oppressive power that confines the person. Such power creates limitations and loss of ability to control one’s actions in the very area of bondage.
In dealing with yoke of bondage, we must consider these – truth liberates, falsehood enslaves and half-truth is disastrous. Jesus declares that you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Your liberation is to the extent of the truth you know and can apply to your life. If Jesus is the truth, an encounter with Him, (the bondage breaker) will breed total freedom.
Like the warning to the Galatians who allowed false teachers to present to them with a false gospel and half-truth, thereby exposing them to bondage, we are to avoid every wind of doctrine with their attendant bondages. Most bondages are self-imposed. Jesus sets free. Get glued to Him.
PRAYER: Lord Jesus, my bondage breaker, I surrender to You. Help me to know You better, for the more I know You, the freer I become.