The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 16 December 2019 – Sin And The Child Of God
TOPIC: Sin And The Child Of God
READ: 1 John 3:1-9 (NKJV)
- Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
- Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
- And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
- Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
- And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.
- Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
- Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
- He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
- Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
Sin is lawlessness (1 John 3:4) or transgression of God’s will, either by omitting to do what God’s law requires or by doing what it forbids. Transgression can occur in thought (I John 3: 15), in word (Matthew 5.22), or deed (Romans 1:32). Mankind was created without sin, morally upright and inclined to do well (Ecclesiastes 7:29).
A child of God is someone who loves and fears God. The original nature of man is void of sin, but since after the fall of Adam, it has been a struggle for man to live right with God.
The most painful aspect of it is that some so-called pastors who are living in sin are deceiving some ignorant people, with the word; ‘it does not matter’ and ‘God understands.’ Child of God, you must stay away from sin no matter how little, to avoid staining that garment that has been washed by the blood of the Lamb. No one can avoid sin by his/her own power except through the help of the Holy Spirit, and we can only have this Spirit by accepting Jesus as our Lord and Saviour.
PRAYER: Lord may I never see any sin as small; rather give me the grace to live above sin in Jesus Christ Name. Amen.