The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 3 July 2020 – He Is The Way
TOPIC: He Is The Way
READ: John 14:1-15 (NKJV)
- “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
- “In My Father’s house are many mansions; if [it were] not [so,] I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, [there] you may be also.
- “And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
- Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- ” If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”
- Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
- Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- “Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own [authority;] but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
- “Believe Me that I [am] in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
- ” Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater [works] than these he will do, because I go to My Father.
- “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- “If you ask anything in My name, I will do [it.]
- ” If you love Me, keep My commandments.
I stood by my suitcase at Heathrow airport looking very confused. I was on my way to resume school, and it was my first time of leaving Nigeria. For the first time, I knew what it meant to be lost. This was until someone spoke up beside me, I did not notice him approach: “Are you just arriving, and is this your first time?” I looked up to see a black face and something in me seemed to calm. “Yes”, I replied, “and I don’t know my way.” He did not just describe my way, but proceeded to take me to where I was going.
Thomas was very blunt and real. “Lord, we do not know where You are going and how can we know the way?” (verse 5). In this, I see two critical issues that everyone born of a woman must address. First, an acknowledgement that he/she does not know the way to Heaven and the way of life. No one has lived before; we’re all strangers on earth; only Jesus has successfully lived without disobeying God. Second, we must all ask the all-important question: “How can we know the way?Jesus is the Way (verse 6); He is the way to the Father. Only by following Him can anyone arrive in Heaven. His principles constitute the best way to live our lives here on earth; we cannot successfully live here without His help and guidance. Ask for His guidance.
PRAYER: Be Thou my Guardian and my Guide.