The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 31 May 2020 – A Glorious Experience
TOPIC: A Glorious Experience
READ: Acts 2:1-21 (NKJV)
- When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
- And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
- Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and [one] sat upon each of them.
- And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
- And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
- Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
- “And how [is it that] we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
- “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
- “Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
- “Cretans and Arabs — we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”
- So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
- Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”
- But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
- “For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is [only] the third hour of the day.
- “But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
- ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.
- And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy.
- I will show wonders in heaven above And signs in the earth beneath: Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
- The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
- And it shall come to pass [That] whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved.’
On that first Pentecost day, the disciples were together in one place in Jerusalem. The Holy Spirit fell on them and they were all filled (verses 1-3). The disciples spoke in other tongues as they were enabled by the Spirit (verse 4). The evidence of the Holy Spirit outpouring was also noticed by the foreign God-fearing Jews who were in Jerusalem. They heard many people speaking aloud in diverse languages which attracted a crowd (verses 5-6). The foreign visitors wondered how they could hear the disciples speaking in their various native languages and declaring the acts of God (verses 7-11). While some out of ignorance marvelled at what actually happened, others mockingly said that the disciples were drunk with wine (verses 12-13).
Peter addressed the crowd and informed them that the disciples were not drunk but had experienced the promised Holy Spirit prophesied by Joel (Joel 2:28-32).
Being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues are very essential experiences for every Christian. He gives power for evangelism and to live a spirit-led life. Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit? If not, ask Jesus Christ to fill you now and He will do so (Matthew 7:7-11)
PRAYER: Father, please fill me with the Holy Spirit everyday in Jesus name. Amen.