The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 24 May 2022 – Blessings Of Obedience
TOPIC: Blessings Of Obedience
READ: Deuteronomy 28:1-14 (NKJV)
- “Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the LORD your God will set you high above all nations of the earth.
- “And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the LORD your God:
- “Blessed [shall] you [be] in the city, and blessed [shall] you [be] in the country.
- “Blessed [shall be] the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.
- “Blessed [shall be] your basket and your kneading bowl.
- “Blessed [shall] you [be] when you come in, and blessed [shall] you [be] when you go out.
- ” The LORD will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.
- “The LORD will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
- “The LORD will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the LORD your God and walk in His ways.
- “Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they shall be afraid of you.
- “And the LORD will grant you plenty of goods, in the fruit of your body, in the increase of your livestock, and in the produce of your ground, in the land of which the LORD swore to your fathers to give you.
- “The LORD will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.
- “And the LORD will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe [them.]
- “So you shall not turn aside from any of the words which I command you this day, [to] the right or the left, to go after other gods to serve them.
The Lord made provision for many blessings for the children of Israel who obeyed Him. The blessings included: Being blessed in the city and in the country, having blessed children, farm produce and animals, blessed when coming in and going out, victory over enemies, blessed storehouse, blessed handiwork, provision of rain, being the head, amongst others. The condition for their receiving these blessings was obedience to God. Many people want to be blessed by God but they do not want to pay the price of obedience.
Parents love obedient children. Teachers love obedient pupils. When you obey God, you reverence Him. It is better to obey God than to offer Him sacrifices (1 Samuel 15:22). The Bible says that God’s children have been sanctified unto obedience (1 Peter 1:2) and even Jesus Christ had to learn obedience by what He suffered (Hebrews 5:8). Beloved, do you obey when God speaks to you? The blessings in today’s passage will be yours if you decide to obey God always. Try it today.
PRAYER: My Heavenly Father, grant me a heart that loves You so much that I will obey You always in Jesus’ name. Amen.