The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 March 2022 – Blessed And Highly Favoured
TOPIC: Blessed And Highly Favoured
READ: Luke 1:26-38 (NKJV)
- Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth,
- to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name [was] Mary.
- And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored [one,] the Lord [is] with you; blessed [are] you among women!”
- But when she saw [him,] she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was.
- Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
- “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS.
- “He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David.
- “And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”
- Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?”
- And the angel answered and said to her, “[The] Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
- “Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.
- “For with God nothing will be impossible.”
- Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.
Today is the Feast of the Annunciation of the Lord to the Blessed virgin Mary. This refers to the announcement to the Virgin Mary by Angel Gabriel, that she would conceive a son by the power of the Holy Spirit and that the child would be called Jesus (Luke 1:31).
Though Mary was initially perplexed by the message, because she had not known any man (verse 34), her ultimate response shows an unquestionable willingness and surrender (verse 38).
Nobody recommended Mary to God. The Almighty God, who is everywhere, knows, sees, and can do all things. She may have been naive and unknown by many but her chaste lifestyle brought her the attention of heaven. The Blessed Virgin Mary sets us an example in consistent humility, righteousness and holy living. We often pray for God’s favour, however in today’s passage we see that divine favour is a consequence of holy living. Can your lifestyle attract God’s favour?
PRAYER: Almighty God, please grant me the grace to subject myself to Your will in all circumstances.