Unveiling the Rewards of Righteousness! By David Oyedepo
Topic: Unveiling the Rewards of Righteousness!
Welcome to your week of favour ! I hope you were blessed by last week teaching. As we conclude this month, we shall focus on: Unveiling the Rewards of Righteousness!
We discover from scriptures that sin brings curses while righteousness brings blessings. For it is written: Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 14:34; see also Psalm 112:1-3). Everywhere we see God’s blessings, righteousness is in place. While the wages of sin is death, the wages of righteousness is life more abundant. There is a lot more pleasure in righteousness than there is in sin. Also, we understand that persecutions bring promotions. Those who mind men naturally miss God. If I had minded men, I would have missed God long ago. When we are persecuted for righteousness, it provokes God for our promotions. For instance, when Joseph was persecuted for purity, God found a place for him in the palace. Every persecution for righteousness equals exaltation from heaven(2 Corinthians 6:17-18). Every persecution against our righteousness is announcing our promotion. Furthermore, persecution does not kill; it is ignorance that kills. Rejoice at persecutions because every greatness from heaven is welcomed on earth by persecutions. For example, when Moses was born, he was born into the midst of persecutions. Likewise our Lord Jesus Christ, when He arrive persecution was waiting. The persecutions of life are a reality but our power over them is also a reality. What is the sole aim of persecutions? To stop the persecuted from attaining his/her goal!
What are the Rewards of Righteousness?
1. Prosperity, Promotion and Honour: Righteousness announces promotion of the righteous. It is written: But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil. Mine eye also shall see my desire on mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear my desire of the wicked that rise up against me. The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing (Psalm 92:10-14). No matter the drought, the righteous shall flourish; his leaves will remain ever green. The man Job flourished by righteousness, likewise everyone that practice righteousness will flourish the same way (Job 1:1-3). Righteousness was the root of the height that Job got to. He became the greatest man not through crookedness or perverseness but through uprightness and godly perfection. He was scared of evil; he never touched it and never played with it (Job 1:5). That he avoided evil suggested that he was living in the days of evil but he never partook of it. Then, he became the greatest man in the east! Righteousness holds a guarantee for our prosperity and honour has its roots in righteousness. It is the shortest way to the topmost top.
2. Beauty: Purity gives birth to beauty. Nothing glorifies, nothing beautifies like holiness. As it is written: For the Lord taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation (Psalm 149:4). Talking about Jesus, Matthew 1:21 says: …he shall save his people from their sins. So, when we are saved from sin, our beauty emerges and our dominion is established. When we go for purity, it will surely deliver our beauty to us. When sin goes, beauty emerges.
How, then, do we Break the Trap of Sin?
1. By Constant Cleansing by the Word: This can be gotten through anointed books and electronic media such as CDS, DVD, etc that deal with issues of ungodliness. Let’s understand that God’s Word carries sanctifying virtues and every genuine encounter with the Word liberates us from sin. The Psalmist said: …Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (Psalm 119:9-11; see also John 15:3, 17:17; Ephesians 5:26).Jesus also said that whosoever is born of God does not commit sin because His seed is in him. The seed is the Word of God. Therefore, just as the presence of light subdues darkness, it also takes the Word to subdue sin (1 John 3:9; Luke 8:11).
2. Through Commitment to Constant Fellowship: It is written: But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions (Obadiah 17). The Church, which is referred to as Mount Zion in the New Testament, is a service station where our lives are serviced spiritually. Among the happenings in Zion is the spiritual sprinkling of the Blood for our cleansing (Hebrews 12:22-24). We must understand that the farther we are from Church, the more vulnerable we become to temptations.That is why, to live a life of righteousness, we must be addicted and committed to fellowship because we are strengthened when we appear before God in Zion (Hebrews 3:13,10:25; Psalm 84:7).
3. By Seeking Impartation of Relevant Spiritual Gifts: Paul the Apostle said: For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established (Romans 1:11). Spiritual gifts enhance our establishment as it is impossible to live a godly life without the Spirit of God at work in us. This is why we must seek relevant spiritual gifts to live godly lives (Romans 8:13). Some of these relevant spiritual gifts include:
- The Spirit of obedience(Ezekiel 36:27).
- The Spirit of holiness (Isaiah 11:2; Romans 1:4; John 8:46).
- The Spirit of grace and supplication (Romans 8:26-27; Zechariah 12:10).
In summary, heaven is the overcomer’s city and only overcomers get there (James 1:12). When we endure temptations, we win a crown of life. Thus, you must be born again. Are you born again? If you are not, this is an opportunity to do so. Simply say the following prayer: Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins. Cleanse me with Your precious Blood. Today, I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Thank You Jesus for saving me! Now I know I am born again!”
For further reading, please get my books: Walking in the Newness of Life, Conquering Controlling Powers, The Blood Triumph and Dynamics of Holiness. I invite you to come and fellowship with us at the Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, the covenant home of Winners. We have four services on Sundays, holding at 6:00 a.m., 7:50 a.m., 9:40 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. respectively.
I know this teaching has blessed you. Write and share your testimony with me through: Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, P.M.B. 21688, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria; or call 01-4548070, 01-4548280; or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Face book: www.facebook.com/davidoyedepoministries/; Twitter: @DavidOyedepoMin
David O. Oyedepo is a Nigerian Christian author, architect, preacher, and the founder and presiding bishop of the mega church, Living Faith Church Worldwide, also known as Winners’ Chapel